This private bank traces its origins to John Freame and Thomas Gould, two Quaker goldsmith bankers who started a business in Lombard Street. There were a number of changes in the partnership of the bank, which of course lead to several changes to the partnership name. The first branch was known as Braclay, Bevan, Tritton, Ransom, Bouverie and Company, they were also known in the City as the ‘long firm. In the 19th Century the address of the bank was settled as 54 Lombard Street.
Messrs Smith, Payne & Smiths, London, 18(61), pay to Ourselves, no printer, inter-bank cheque signed for Masterman, & Mildred, black on blue, punch cancelled, light foxing at edge, vine design panel, used
Messrs Drummond was a private bank founded in 1717. In 1924 the bank was purchased by The Royal Bank of Scotland. This acquisition was the first of the Royal Bank of Scotland south of the Scottish border.
Smith, Payne & Smiths, London, Perkins & Bacon PROOF, 186-, c1860, Special Printing for Alliance Maritime Assurance Office, double cheque, pay to Bearer, brown, brown s/p, printer's annotations, mount marks on reverse, very fragile and suffered some damage to edges.